Tuesday, July 15, 2008

THE WAR OF THE WORLDS 1-5 Summary

Summary Chapter 1-5

The strength of the Martians worried me so much that I had decided to take my wife to the south coast, and leave country with wife immediately.
Many people, though, did not realize how serious the situation was.
'Death!' I shouted,' 'Death is comung!' and I hurried on to Weighbridge.
Martians machines appeared, far away over the low trees towards Chertsey.Then, froma different direction, a fifth one came towards us.At that moment I got under the water and, holding my breath until movement was painful, swam under the surface for as lomg as I could.
Then suddenly the white flashes of the Heat-Ray came towars me.I have a faint memory of the foot of a Martian coming down within twenty meters of my head, going straight into loose stones.And then very slowly, I realized that somehow I had escaped.
I do not remember the arrival of the curate, so probably I slept for some time.
My brother was in London when the Martians fell at Woking.He was not worried about us, as he knew frome the description in the papers that the cylinder was three kilometers from my house.
At about eight o'cloc the sound of firing could be heard clearly all over the south of London.My brother now was very worried about me.
Early hours of Monday morning people were shouting questions.'They are comung!'
'London in ganger'
That was all, but enough. All of the six million people who lived in the great city were beginning to move. Soon everybody would be tring to escape to the north.
While the curate had sat and talked so widly to me in the flat fields pour across Westminster Bridge, the Martians had started to attack again.
Towards Sunbury there was somthing dark, like a hill.
Each of the Martiams, standing in the great curve I have described, had used the tube he carried to fire a large cylinder over whathever hill, wood or other possible hiding place for the country.
They did not want to destroy the country, but only to defeat its people.
So my brother from the worst of the panic in London and reached Edgware at about seven.He saw few other refuges until he met two ladies who later traveled withhim.He arrived just in time to save them.
'Go on! Go on!' the voices said. 'They are coming.'
There were people of evry class and profession, but they were all dusty; their skins were dry, their lips black and, all of them looked very afraid.
After several more houurs on the road, they saw the sea about three kilometers
out there was warship.This was the Thunder Child, the only one in sight.
It was about two o'clock when my brother got onto a steamboat with the two women.The little steamboat was already moving out to sea when a Martian appeared, small and far away, another could be seen even further away.
Suddenly, at the nearest Martian lowered his tube and fired a cylinder at the Thunde-
er Child.
The little ship my brother was on continued to move out to sea and, the warship became smaller in the distance.

No comments: